BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING
Meeting Date: MAY 14, 2016_TIME: 8AM__LOCATION: ”THE HAVEN”
Call In Number _(641) 715-3580 Access Code: 272-256
1. CALL TO ORDER: 8:10am AT THE HAVEN ON MAY 14TH, 2016
President of SCCGI, Preacher Dave Presiding
2. DIRECTORS PRESENT: ALL DIRECTORS PRESENT– DAVE, BALU, ROBI, MARTY, ANDRA, BUILDER BILL, DOC, DREAMCATCHER, TRISH, Per Conference Call: LYNNE, WYATT
3. APPROVAL OF This Meeting’s AGENDA: MOTION TO APPROVE : BUILDER BILL (BB), 2ND: TRISH
4. READING OF March 5, 2016 MEETING MINUTES
Question by President if all BOD members had a chance to review minutes. ALL AYES
MOTION to suspend secretary reading minutes: Marty, 2nd: Trish – PASSED
MOTION to accept BOD MEETING MINUTES OF MARCH 5, 2016,
Doc, 2nd: BB – PASSED
5. OFFICER REPORTS
A. PRESIDENT REPORT– (See attached President’s Report May 1, 2016 BOD
1. We have a responsibility to Slab City and beyond to set a pattern for a new type of land use.
2. Living Laboratory of Social Design
3.Incorporates what is already in our Mission Statement, ByLaws to provide affordable living space for low/moderate income, elderly, disabled, locally based land stewardship, permaculture (sustainable) agriculture, economic development and stability.
4. Erin Robinson will be doing a Master’s Thesis on Slab City and staying at Salvation Mountain.
MOTION TO ACCEPT PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Marty, 2nd: BB
B. VICE PRESIDENT REPORT – Balu
1. Working on getting an “Adopt a Hwyway” near Niland.
2. Will investigate getting County Sign designating Slab City
MOTION TO ACCEPT VICE-PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Dreamcatcher, 2nd Marty | PASSED
C. SECRETARY REPORT
See attached Secretary Report, May 14th, 2016
MOTION TO ACCEPT SECRETARY REPORT: Marty, 2nd: Trish/Dreamcatcher | PASSED
D. TREASURER’S REPORT
1. See attached Treasurer Balance Sheet May 14, 2016
2. Grant Proposal has been submitted. See 55 page copy of Community Grant proposal submitted to County.
MOTION TO ACCEPT TREASURER’S REPORT: Wyatt, 2nd: Doc
6. COMMITTEE REPORTS
A. AGRICULTURAL, SUSTAINABLE, & ECOLOGY –
1. Developed relationship with Green Patch Nursery in Brawley
2. Introduction of Land Fill Diversion (give us your throw-aways
3. Employee of Green Patch willing to share permaculture info
4. Looking to attain “throw away trees” to plant in Slabs
5. Indian Laurels are fast growing good choice as well (Andra)
6. Committee Chair expressed Gratitude to all members of BOD and SC Community who have offered rides for this investigation.
MOTION TO ACCEPT ASE COMMITTEE REPORT: DOC, 2ND: BB
B. FUNDRAISING – Chair – Lynne Bright
1. Nothing New to report
2. Attended Online Crowdsourcing seminar, felt info does not apply to SCCGI
3. Fundraiser site has List of Grantors in alphabetical order
4. Fundraiser site also has access to sorted list function to narrow types of grants and who is giving, but there is a fee or one can go to locations where they offer you to use their computer, one is in San Diego, one in LA area. (NOTE: Robi checked on the location in Imperial Valley and for now that office is closed with no update when will reopen).
MOTION TO ACCEPT FUNDRAISER COMMITTEE REPORT: Doc, 2nd: BB | PASSED
7. OLD BUSINESS:
A. “List of County Important Meetings” for developing relationships Trish – will check on locations and meeting times and dates to start relationship building w county. Andra expressed interest to attend w Trish.
B. SCCGI BOD discussed finding a “BOD Loaner Computer” to facilitate SCCGI related research and BOD member duties.
- Resources: can set up Amazon Gift Request
- Dreamcatcher said can submit application to Walmart
- No definite BOD member was identifed to complete task.
- No Motion was made to complete task.
C. Set Date for Nomination for Officer Workshop
MOTION TO POSTPONE TO OLD BUSINESS IN JULY 9TH, 2016 BOD MEETING 8am The Haven: Dreamcatcher, 2nd: Balu
(D. “Upcoming AGM Review & Agenda” – AGM meeting date noted by Sec – Dec 11 2016, THE RANGE 12PM)
(E. Niland Chamber Membership completion date- not discussed as not on mistaken hand out agenda – as of this date has not been completed)
10. NEW BUSINESS
(a. Member Meeting Quorum Policy Report: Dave/Christina – not discussed as not on mistaken hand out agenda)
b. Liability Insurance: Lynne and/or Robi – Both Lynne and Robi still researching – no identified company at this time, will update each meeting, (include in next meeting old business)
(c. Official Corporate Info Designation – Marty – not discussed as not included on mistaken handout – confusion about which agenda Press used Temperature getting hot, BOD wished to wrap up)
11. SET NEXT BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING DATE:
MOTION TO SET NEXT BOD MEETING ON July 9, 8am The Haven:
Lynne, 2nd: Dreamcatcher | PASSED
12. STAKEHOLDER QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS – None presented
13. MOTION TO ADJOURN: ANDRA, 2ND: BB \ PASSED
Meeting was adjourned at 9:15am
SCCGI – Secretary Report – May 14th, 2016
A. CORPORATE BOOK:
The Corporate book is up to date!
B. MEMBERSHIP – 48 current members of SCCGI, including the BOD in that count. The previous membership forms can be used until we make new ones, however we are only accepting payment/membership for one year at a time.
We have a WEBSITE! http://www.sccgi.org/
Pictures and information about BOD is up. Minutes of the meetings will be posted after minutes are approved which means about 2 months after the meeting.
D. OFFICIAL SCCGI EMAIL SYSTEM
Google Non-Profit Program allows SCCGI to have an OFFICIAL email
The Treasurer and the Secretary are currently using the sc..org email. Here are the SCCGI emails that have been set up:
News@sccgi,, Treasurer@sccgi.org, Robi@sccgi, Secretary@sccgi, media_contact@sccgi, donor_relations@sccgi (all .org)
Benchmark email system: the “News@sccgi.org” email is used for not only inquiries, but also for Newsletter Email.
A notification of the meeting was sent out to 19 people on the list. 6 of those were opened, 12 were Unopened, and one bounced, which was Robi@sccgi.org. I believe if people do add “email@example.com” to their contact list, it does not appear or bounces. Reason why we should use firstname.lastname@example.org for all general email requests. That way, if someone sends us an email, then signs up for newsletter, it should be delivered. Benchmark, is not the best in my observation, but it is free to the Non-profit.
Media_Contact email – Rosie Knott, Assistant Producer assistant casting producer from the award winning television company October Films (www.octoberfilms.co.uk) queried SCCGI for members of the community that might be interested in their project. Balu has been passed that information and connection. If you are interested in more information contact our VP, Balu.
Gov Filings: All government filings have been filed on time. An incorrect transpose of numbers on the PO Box has been corrected.
A Grant Application to the County has been submitted by email, acknowledged by Ryan Kelley and County BOD Secretary. No response other than received at this point.
I recommend a follow up phone call with Ryan Kelly.
Annual Members Meeting – Set by passed motion on March 5, 2016
December 11th, 2016, At The Range, at 12pm
Posted on Website.